Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why I Hate True or False Questions...

(O'Brien, 68)

Literary term: Juxtaposition

" Often the crazy stuff is true and the normal stuff isn't, because the normal stuff is necessary to make you believe the truly incredible craziness."

This sentence tries to make the point that normal is unbelievable and craziness is true. In addition to not usually being associated, these statements are difficult to swallow. The structure of this sentence just adds to the craziness of these ideas; there seems to be too much in this sentence. Anyways, after reading this passage, I couldn't help but try to recall all personal war stories and decipher what was true. Additionally I now am having difficultly believing any of the stories of this book; every time I finish a story the following chapter claims what is fake which just angers me. Stories lose their credibility when they are classified as not true. Whatever makes a story or book more personal whether it be a direct tale or never revealed as fake, in my opinion, creates a better tale. So while I'm sad that some aspects of war tales may be fabricated, I would rather not be told then be blasted with the verdict what is real or not.

1 comment: