Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Kinda Run of the Mill..

(O'Brien, 1-25)

This first chapter basically barfed a bunch of ideas and images of war upon the reader, and while it was an interesting and unique section, my mind simply kept reeling to basically every other war story, movie, and song I had ever heard. For example, the quote"They marched for the sake of the march. They plodded along slowly, dumbly, leaning forward against the heat unthinking, all blood and bone, simple grunts, soldiering with their legs..." (O'Brien, 16) makes me ponder Forest Gump. Or when the men burn down an entire town, all I could think about was the Civil War film Glory when a troop becomes savage and attacks a town. And honestly, the whole ordeal with Martha just open the floodgates of war love stories. In short, nothing in this section of the book really impacted me; it was just another war story. War is simply a topic that cannot be captured; there don't seem to be enough words to capture it and as a result all descriptions all begin to sound the same. Personally, I didn't read anything new in this section and I think the only way I could really learn something would to actually partake in war. However I think this section was a good introduction to the book because it placed the mindset of war including songs, images, and movie scenes...

1 comment: