Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Identifying the Meat

(O'Brien, 211-212)

Literary Term: Imagery

This gruesome scene describes Rat's mental breakdown including his fear of bugs, gory mental images, and twisted medical mind. He describes his fear in such a way that the reader can almost see his described liver, heads, and tunneling bugs; its disgusting. However within this description, Rat almost seems wise: "The whole war, he said. "You know what it is? Just one big banquet. Meat, man. You and me. Everybody. Meat for the bugs" (O'Brien, 212). It's that simple; no matter the side, both are dying, suffering, and mentally breaking down.

On a different note, this scene freaks me out, but not because of the gore and disturbing images. Rather, as a student interested in heath care as a profession, I fear that this will happen to me. The chance of considering people only as parts scares me to death. However, it is only a matter of keeping morals in check, whether that be by personally getting to know patients or removing oneself from the situation by shooting one's toe off...

1 comment:

  1. I can't walk into a hospital without the smell making me light-headed and queasy. No way I'd go into the medical field!

    ReplyDelete