Thursday, April 21, 2011

To the Graduating Class...

(Frankenstein, Mary Shelley)


"He is dead who called me into being; and when I shall be no more, the
very remembrance
of us will be speedily vanished" (211).


As twisted as this sounds, I was not thinking of death or monsters when I read this passage. Rather my approaching graduation grasped my mind (shocking, I know). This passage speaks the bittersweet sorrow of seniors graduating; the hardships of the present are coming to a close yet purpose and the future are unknown to us now. But more than that, this passage displays the essential role teachers, and peers play in our lives. School is meant to be a place to cultivate more than just studies; school is meant to be a place to become the citizens of the future with leaders, peacemakers, idealists, and all those in between. Teachers create and call us to be the best we can be, and work tirelessly to provide. And when they "die" or when we go on separate paths, we must decide to "die" as well or transcend to become a new being with knowledge of the past and a passion for the future. Hopefully, the future is full of alive and passionate leaders and citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment