Thursday, April 21, 2011

Allusion of the First Time..

(Frankenstein, Mary Shelley)

" In this manner I distributed my occupations when I first arrived, but as I proceeded in my labour, it because everyday more horrible and irksome to me. sometimes I could not prevail on myself to enter my laboratory for several days...During my first experiment, a kind of enthusiastic frenzy had blinded me to the horror of my employment; my mind was intently fixed on the consummation of my labour. But now I went to it in cold blood, and my heart often sickened at the work of my hands" (157)

This scene portrays the ghastly consequence of every scientist, boredom and distaste. Scientist such and Walton and Victor thrive on the excitement and mystery of a new location and study. However, once they reflect their work and motivation, they discover the flaws in their studies, shown in the quote above. They don't love the actual subject or fame of the discoveries, rather they yearn for the satisfaction of searching for new answers. These scientist need what actors call "the allusion of the first time" or the talent of reacting one's actions over and over with emotion and careful planning. These scientist need to plan well rather than throw themselves to danger and rash experiments. A strong base of information and passion need to replace the fickle desires of such scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment