Thursday, April 21, 2011

Gotta Have Faith.

(Frankenstein, Mary Shelley)

" Like Adam, I was apparently united by no link to any other existence; but his state was far different from mine in every other aspect. He had come forth form the hands of God a perfect creature, happy and prosperous, guarded by the special care of his Creator; he was allowed to converse with and acquire knowledge from beings of a superior nature, but I was a wretched, helpless, and alone. Many times I considered Satan as the fitter emblem of my condition, for often , like him, when I viewed the bliss of my protectors, the bitter gall of envy rose within me" (124).

Literary Term: Allusion

After discovering the story of Adam and Eve and religion, the creature of this novel relates himself to the Adam. However, as he considers this more, he titles himself more as the fallen angel of a Satan-like creator. He understands that he is not accepted and cherished as Adam was by God and yearns to have that companionship and acceptance. The creature becomes the evil and threat of the fallen angel, as he consumes Victor with fear and dread and murders those around him. At one point he refers to himself as the snake, a well-known symbol of the fallen angel and evil, shown in the following quote:
"Beware for I am fearless and therefore powerful. I will watch with the wiliness of a snake, that I may sting with its venom. Man, you shall repent of the injuries you inflict" (161).
In addition to this allusion to the story of Creation, there is an overall connection to faith throughout the novel. The monster and Victor constantly remark about sinning and repentance and guilt; the monster is also an excellent example of the extremes of free will. Just as it is thought that God gives humans free will, this monster has been given free will, and uses it for extremes of evil. If only the creature had been treated as a treasure rather than become a fallen angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment