Friday, July 2, 2010

Spreading the Love?

(Hemingway, 186-187)

Literary Term: Internal Conflict

(Brett) "Do you still love me, Jake?" "Yes" I said. "Because I'm a goner, I'm mad about the Romero boy. I'm in love with him I think"...

The only element standing in the way of Jacob and Brett having a secure relationship together is Brett's fickle nature. She is never satisfied and craves total attention while maintaining a independent lifestyle. Jacob stands on the sidelines as she flirts with anyone and everyone. Unfortunately she isn't only hurting Jacob; she is constantly hurting others and causing conflict and honestly she doesn't seem truly satisfied with her life. The noted scene shows her rash lust over the bull fighter Romero which is later forgotten and rejected. The only character she never completely rejects is Jacob, which may just hurt him more. The book ends without a solution to this issue, and frankly I don't think there will be a solution due to this internal struggle Brett holds. Readers constantly have to pity both parties throughout the entire book.

1 comment: