Thursday, July 1, 2010

Going to the Chapel...

(Hemingway, 103)

Literary Term: Stream of Consciousness

(Jacob) I was a little ashamed and regretted that I was such a rotten Catholic, but realized there was nothing I could do about it, at least for a while, and maybe never, but that anyway it was a grand religion, and I only wished I felt religious and maybe I would next time; and then I was out in the hot sun of the steps of the cathedral, and the forefingers and the thumb of my right hand were still damp and I felt them dry in the sun.

Unlike some of the other characters, Jacob doesn't seem to completely desire to live a life of partying. This series of thoughts displays his possible regret; however, he chooses to do nothing about it. In general, religion is portrayed as a joke throughout the novel such as the constant remarks of Cohn's Jewish upbringing. Still, the church has been a constant of refuge for the characters such as this visit or when Brett tries to seek comfort after Romero, but none of them make the effort to withhold this comfort outside of church. They push away thoughts of regret and hope for better religion later and move on. They only go move towards religion in times of need or when entertaining spectacles are held, such as the religious parade at the beginning of the Fiesta. They have all chosen to leave the cool comfort and return to the hot, hell-like sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment