Saturday, July 3, 2010

Save the Last Dance for me

(Hemingway, 195)

"I do though," Mike said. "I'm not one of these chaps likes being knocked about. I never play games even."

This is the single best quote to capture Mike's character. Honestly he doesn't seem to be a very likable person; he is always causing endless issues. He is always borrowing money and simply drinks it all away. The only time he receives pity is when Brett totally uses him, he actually tried to allow Brett to be as free as she wanted as long as she returned to him. Of course this didn't work seeing as sharing one's special someone is just not realistic at all when feelings get involved. Once this happens to Mike, he certainly doesn't play fair, as he verbally attacks anyone that gets close to Brett and causes such tension. The only character that isn't effected by Mike's attacks is Bill who goes with him to occupancy Edna and to shine his shoes (which was...special). I personally don't like Mike; however, I think his feelings for Brett are true and I don't like how she constantly brushes him off. At least he is willing to fight for her...perhaps he has more balls than the bulls....

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little confused. You say you don't like Mike, but then talk about how his love for Brett is genuine. Are those two ideas connected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant is that I wouldn't ever select him for myself nor do I agree with his ideals; however, he does truly care for Brett which is important in an relationship and he (or any body)doesn't desires her rude nature.

    ReplyDelete