Saturday, July 3, 2010

I Want to Ride my Bicycle


(Hemingway, 239-241)


Bicycle road-racing was the only sport in the world. he said. Had I ever followed the Tour de France?


The bicycle-riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves. They had raced among themselves so often that it did not make much difference who won.


Unlike most of this novel, I have a pretty good understanding and interest in this event. My family holds a strange deep love for the Tour de France and I enjoyed reading this interpretation of the race. From my understanding, the race hasn't changed much; the teams and riders today train together all year and the riders don't change much year to year resulting in a competition among friends or at least acquaintances. Additionally, the whole Tour is a game of strategy rather than sheer physical competition. The goal of a winner is to allow other teams to win some stages in order to gain their support and to lose to other team members in order to rest some days and such. While it is physically demanding, to the point where most riders lose ALL body fat, this race still holds fellowship and great tradition. I also found it entertaining that this race has grown from the somewhat local ride in this book to the worldwide event that it is today. For all of those interested, look into the Tour de France this July!

No comments:

Post a Comment