Tuesday, June 29, 2010

By the Time You're Dreaming....

(Hemingway, 39)

(Jacob) I lay awake thinking and my mind jumping around. then I couldn't keep away from it, and I started to think about Brett and all the rest of it went away. I was thinking about Brett and my mind started to go in sort of smooth waves. Then all of a sudden I started to cry. Then after a while it was all better and I lay in bed and listened to the heavy trams go by and way down the street, and I went to sleep.

Previous to this paragraph explaining Jacob's current feelings, the reader first has to experience Jacob's routine before going to bed. Hemingway has a lovely habit of filling pages with scrupulous detail, and it seems that he does so for other purposes other than explaining the setting or character. As the reader experiences Jacob retrieving his mail, reviewing his bank balance, examining a wedding invitation, dressing, reading some papers, the reader learns more than just Jacob's lifestyle and habits. The grave detail to these tasks seems to reflect Jacob avoiding thought of the earlier cab ride and rejection from Brett. Human nature tries to reject painful thoughts and will try to keep preoccupied. However, Jacob is not able to do, displayed in the sprinkles of thought about Brett within his routine, and finally the floodgates open when he gets into bed. In general, people cannot escape their thoughts while laying in bed, for they don't have anything to distract them. At this time Jacob finally confronts his pain from his rejection from Brett, his "giving more than life" injury, and love and then is finally able to sleep.

I believe this is one of the most honest scenes of the book; Jacob doesn't degrade his feelings for Brett and his feelings aren't hidden from drinking or social events. This contributes to a more understandable and realistic image of Jacob rather than the superficial social/partying aspect of his character. Many people can relate to this scene, myself included, and I find this passage to enhance my interest in the book.

1 comment:

  1. it seems like the characters are rarely themselves when they're with others, so I suppose that would suggest that when they're alone, we are seeing them more genuinely.

    ReplyDelete