Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You and me, me and you in our little room

(1984, George Orwell)

" And do you know what I'm going to do next? I'm going to get hold of a real woman's frock from somewhere and wear it instead of these bloody trousers. I'll wear silk stockings and high-heeled shoes! In this room I'm going to be a woman, not a Party comrade" (page 142)

The room above the Mr. Charrington's shop is a refuge, an paradise escape for Winston and Julia. Somehow they find the time to join and share love and fellowship despite fear and danger. The room itself promotes the notion of love and compassion through the double bed and chance to eat well and dress for beauty rather than purpose. This room allows Julia and Winston to grow in peace and happiness, shown in Winston's returning health. More importantly, this room represents the growing distance this couple have from the party. Instead of a temporary field or church, they have a more stable location to fester their love and non-Party ideals. It's even the connection they use with O'Brien when they join the brotherhood. The following clip is Norah Jone's song "Little Room", a song reflecting a room as a refuge for a couple. The lyrics really connect to the atmosphere and use of this room:


You and me and,
Me and you,
In my little room,
There's room enough for us to do,
The things we like to do.

Oops, I hit my elbow on the doorknob,
Its right there,
It's by the bed next to my head,
But I don't even care.

There's stars up on the wall,
And they all glow in the dark,
And we can hear the children playing,
Outside in the park.

There's bars on the window,
And if there were a fire,
We'd burn up for sure,
But that's just fine by me 'cause,
We would be together ever more.

In this little room,
In the big city we're so far,
From the people that we knew in,
My big ol' blue car.

But if we stick together,
Then I know we'll be ok,
'cause when it gets too cold outside,
This room is where we'll stay.




No comments:

Post a Comment