Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Foggy Day...

("London", Blake)

While reading this poem, I was only capable to compare it to the Michael Buble's cover " A Foggy Day", a song set in London. The lyrics are simple, but hold some resemblance to this intelligent poem:

A foggy day, in London Town.
Had me low, had me down.
I viewed the morning with such alarm.
British museum had lost its charm.
I long, I wonder, could this thing last?
But the age of miracles hadn't past,
For suddenly I saw you there,
And through foggy London town, the sun was shining everywhere.
This song and this poem are set and focused on the structured and tiresome aura of London. Although orderly and tidy, the place is filled with fear and and weakness. I interrupted Blake's poem as a voice of concern when London had its rocky history of having no heir to the throne (ie: that whole Kine Henry the VIII thing...), given the details of "blood down the palace walls" and "plagues the Marriage hearse". The entire issue seems to cloud, or fog if you will, over London. All charm was lost, as the Church lost it's values and soldiers transformed into protection for solely the King. However, this history and sadness of London captured by Blake is lost and the country became more stable (or the sun shined in hope as King Henry found another wife...).

1 comment: